Friday, December 2, 2011

The Good Old Days

The Author of this post is Cheryl Martinez

While playing in my attic last weekend, my grandson came across our old set of encyclopedias. He was fascinated by the many books in the set and curious what they were for and why I had them. I explained to him that they were what we used before we had high speed internet service to look up information. He was amazed to learn that it wasn’t that long ago that information was not so easily available. He was also shocked to learn how expensive those books were and that many homes did not own a set. I was disappointed but not surprised to learn that he has never been in a library. I guess he has never had a real need. Anything he has ever been curious about either he or his parents looked up on the internet rather than make a trip elsewhere to find the information. While I appreciate being able to find things online, I feel like the library is a great place for kids and the experience of checking out library books is invaluable so next weekend when he comes to visit we are going to take a trip to my local library so he can see how we did it in the “good old days!”

No comments:

Post a Comment